List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:May 14 1999 7:20pm
Subject:Re: count_distinct?
View as plain text
>>>>> "unknown" == unknown  <unknown@stripped> writes:

unknown> *grumble*
unknown> Ah well.  We've got an alternate solution, where we just have a counter
unknown> that adds one every time a duplicate IP hits the database.  Now MySQL's
unknown> crashing our machine 'coz there's too much stuff hitting it :-(

unknown> ---
unknown> tani hosokawa
unknown> river styx internet

Could you describe your problem a little better?
MySQL should not be able to crash your machine....

How do you update the counter?

UPDATE table set counter=counter+1 where ip_no=#;

should be VERY fast.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
count_distinct?unknown13 May
  • Re: count_distinct?Christian Mack14 May
    • Re: count_distinct?unknown14 May
      • Re: count_distinct?Michael Widenius15 May
        • Re: count_distinct?unknown15 May