List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:April 10 2000 9:39pm
Subject:Re: [Re: mysql_insert_id() function???]
View as plain text
At 2:44 PM -0600 2000-04-10, Derick Siddoway wrote:
>Paul DuBois <paul@stripped> wrote:
>>  At 11:47 AM -0300 04-10-2000, cristiano@stripped wrote:
>>  >  Hi all,
>>  >
>>  >  I use this function:
>>  >
>>  >  mysql_insert_id()
>>  >
>>  >  My problem is:
>>  >
>>  >  If I had two or more INSERT`s in same time, what this function return?
>>  >
>>  >  PS: I had a AUTO_INCREMENT column.
>>  >
>>  >  Regards,
>>  >
>>  >  Cristiano
>>
>>  I assume you are wondering what happens if two different clients
>>  insert a row into the table at the same time?
>>
>>  Answer: each client will get back the ID generated for the row
>>  it inserted; they will not interfere with each other, because
>>  mysql_insert_id() returns a client-specific value.
>
>I think Christiano's asking a different question.  I read it as,
>if I use  a multi-row insert  (something like INSERT INTO table
>VALUES(0,1),(0,2); ), what value is returned by mysql_insert_id()?
>
>I don't think that this behavior is defined, but my reading
>of the source may be suspect.

Assuming the rows are inserted into the table in the same order
that they are listed in the INSERT statement, I would think that
mysql_insert_id() would return the AUTO_INCREMENT value generated
for the final row.  That's just a guess.

Actually, now that I think about it a bit more, you don't even
have to assume anything about the order in which the rows are
inserted into the table, because the same number of AUTO_INCREMENT
values will be generated now matter which order the rows are
inserted.  And in any case, mysql_insert_id() will return the final
value that was generated.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread