List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:May 14 1999 11:03am
Subject:Re: Per User Password Administration
View as plain text
Van wrote:

> I'm using a PHP-enabled application to maintain time-billing information
> for my company.  Many of these people will be first-time users of a
> web-enabled application.  I'm trying to set it up, so the first time they
> try to log in, it gives them the option of having their password mailed to
> them.  (They already have a UNIX account).  I'll generate a random
> password for their username, and mail it to them.
> When they return, I want to give them the ability to change their
> password.  Is their a way to do this on a per row basis in 3.22.21?  I
> don't recall seeing that when I installed it.
> My other option is to create a separate database and put very tight
> programming around it so they can only access their own user information
> without being able to affect other peoples' user information.  My concern
> with this approach, is I'm bringing in a couple database programmers very
> green, who understand dba to some degree, but not MySQL dba (grants, and
> so forth).  This is also the reason I want to keep user administration out
> of the native MySQL user table until per row security becomes available.
> Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.  I'll post the application once
> it's complete to a public ftp site.
> Regards,
> Van

Hi Van

There is a SQL command to change your own password only:
SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD( 'new password for the current connected user' )

This is made especially for users without priviledges on the database 'mysql'.

Tschau
Christian

Thread
Per User Password AdministrationVan13 May
  • Per User Password AdministrationMichael Widenius13 May
  • Re: Per User Password AdministrationChristian Mack14 May
  • PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User Password AdministrationVan16 May
  • Re: PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User Password Administration (Never Mind)Van16 May
  • Re: PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User Password AdministrationSasha Pachev17 May
    • Re: PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User PasswordAdministrationShafir17 May
  • Re: PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User Password AdministrationVan17 May
  • Re: PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User PasswordAdministrationVan17 May
  • Re: PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User Password AdministrationSasha Pachev17 May
  • Parsing of Mail files into a DatabaseVan18 May
    • Parsing of Mail files into a DatabaseMichael Widenius22 May
    • Parsing of Mail files into a DatabaseMichael Widenius22 May
  • Now, How to sed on Perl Vars?Van18 May
    • Re: Now, How to sed on Perl Vars?Thimble Smith18 May
  • Re: Now, How to sed on Perl Vars?Van19 May
Re: Parsing of Mail files into a DatabaseVan18 May
  • Re: Parsing of Mail files into a DatabaseDaniel E. White18 May