List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:April 7 2000 5:08pm
Subject:Re: Database admin problem
View as plain text
At 1:01 PM -0400 04-07-2000, Elizabeth Alvanas wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I was wondering if you could please help me with a problem I am having with
>database administration.  I am trying to grant the user 'administrator' with
>password '12345678' access to all database tables.  I go into mysql using
>user='root'.  I then type the following:
>  mysql> use mysql
>  mysql>  insert into user
>(host,user,password,select_priv,insert_priv,update_priv,delete_priv)
>values('localhost','administrator',password('12345678'),'Y','Y','Y','Y');
>
>I can then "select * from user;" and see this new user.
>
>However, if I quit from mysql and try to go into mysql again by typing:
>  mysql -u administrator -p
>  12345678
>
>I receive the error message:
>  ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'administrator@localhost' (Using
>password: YES)
>
>I can however access the server without specifying a password by typing:
>  mysql -u administrator
>
>I can then successfully do a "show databases" but access is denied to any
>individual database.
>
>I am using MySQL server version 3.22.32.
>
>Am I doing something wrong?

You probably didn't reload the grant tables.  Without doing that,
your changes have no effect when you modify the tables manually.

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

But it's better to use the GRANT statement, which is easier and causes
the tables to be reloaded automatically.  I think this should do it:

     GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE
     ON *.*
     TO administrator@localhost
     IDENTIFIED BY '12345678'