List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:April 7 2000 5:08pm
Subject:Re: Database admin problem
View as plain text
At 1:01 PM -0400 04-07-2000, Elizabeth Alvanas wrote:
>I was wondering if you could please help me with a problem I am having with
>database administration.  I am trying to grant the user 'administrator' with
>password '12345678' access to all database tables.  I go into mysql using
>user='root'.  I then type the following:
>  mysql> use mysql
>  mysql>  insert into user
>I can then "select * from user;" and see this new user.
>However, if I quit from mysql and try to go into mysql again by typing:
>  mysql -u administrator -p
>  12345678
>I receive the error message:
>  ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'administrator@localhost' (Using
>password: YES)
>I can however access the server without specifying a password by typing:
>  mysql -u administrator
>I can then successfully do a "show databases" but access is denied to any
>individual database.
>I am using MySQL server version 3.22.32.
>Am I doing something wrong?

You probably didn't reload the grant tables.  Without doing that,
your changes have no effect when you modify the tables manually.

But it's better to use the GRANT statement, which is easier and causes
the tables to be reloaded automatically.  I think this should do it:

     ON *.*
     TO administrator@localhost
     IDENTIFIED BY '12345678'

Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Database admin problemElizabeth Alvanas7 Apr
  • Re: Database admin problemPaul DuBois7 Apr