List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:May 14 1999 6:58am
Subject:Re: Can't connect to local MySQL server (again!)
View as plain text
On Fri, May 14, 1999 at 02:50:24PM +0900, BOB SCOTT wrote:
> I thought it might be a problem with basic file permissions
> but that looks OK.  All users can read all files in
> my datadir directory (/var/lib/mysql/).
>
> [root@linux /root]# ls -l /var/lib/
> total 1973
> 	.
> 	.
> drwxrwxr-x  12 mysql    root         1024 May 12 14:33 mysql

This is neither necessary nor recommended.  Change the permissions
back to the defaults - only the mysql user should be able to read
any database directory.  Otherwise all of the data are visible to
anyone who has an account on your machine!  Also, if they can read
the data for the 'mysql' database, then they know all of the user
names and passwords (they would have to crack the passwords, but it
wouldn't be impossible).

Also, there's no reason for the 'root' group to be able to read or
write to any of those directories.  0700 is the appropriate perms.

If you can't connect, you need to send us the contents of your
mysql.user and mysql.db tables.  You also should demonstrate that
you have read the manual and couldn't solve your problem with the
information given in it!

Thanks,

Tim
Thread
Can't connect to local MySQL server (again!)BOB SCOTT14 May
  • Re: Can't connect to local MySQL server (again!)Jens Ellegiers14 May
  • Re: Can't connect to local MySQL server (again!)Thimble Smith14 May
    • Re: Can't connect to local MySQL server (again!)Darrell Shifflett14 May
  • Re: Can't connect to local MySQL server (again!)BOB SCOTT14 May
    • Re: Can't connect to local MySQL server (again!)Thimble Smith14 May
  • Re: Can't connect to local MySQL server (again!)BOB SCOTT14 May
  • Re: Can't connect to local MySQL server (again!)Pat Sherrill14 May