List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:April 4 2000 4:05pm
Subject:Re: binary installation
View as plain text
At 7:09 PM +0300 04-04-2000, <sinisa@stripped> wrote:
>Paul DuBois writes:
>  > At 1:24 PM +0800 2000-04-04, Jun Garin wrote:
>  >
>  > Solaris tries to read the password from stdin rather from the terminal.
>  > It's taking the first line of the "dump" file as your password.
>  > You can either specify the password on the command line (-pyour_pass) or
>  > in the [client] group of your option file ~/.my.cnf.
>  >
>  >
>  > --
>  > Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
>  >
>  > --
>
>An addition to Pual's answer : Plus you can define password in the
>environment variable: MYSQL_PWD.

This is true.

Note that each method may present security problems:

- If you don't make ~/.my.cnf readable only to you, other user may be
   able to see it.
- Specifying the password on the command line allows it to be seen for
   an instant by ps.
- Setting MYSQL_PWD allows your password to be seen by other users at
   any time on systems that have a version of ps that will show process
   environments.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread