List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dr Eberhard W Lisse Date:May 12 1999 10:22pm
Subject:Re: Packing IP addresses
View as plain text
In message <Pine.OSF.4.05.9905121712020.11975-100000@stripped>, Alvin
Starr writes:
> On Wed, 12 May 1999, Matthias Pigulla wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I want to pack IP addresses for I have to store a lot of them in a
> > database ;-)
>
> It occures to me that an IP address would be a really usefull datatype.
> Even possibly an IPV6 type would be handy.

Alvin, Matthias,

If I am not mistaken IP addresses are numbers, expressed for human
consumption in the dotted quad notation 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
which I suspect would lend itself to a calculation and saving the
resulting number in the BIGINT type, perhaps?

greetings, el
Thread
Packing IP addressesMatthias Pigulla13 May
  • Re: Packing IP addressesUnknown Sender13 May
    • Re: Packing IP addressesDr Eberhard W Lisse13 May
      • Re: Packing IP addressesBen Kirkpatrick13 May
        • Re: Packing IP addressesUnknown Sender13 May
      • Re: Packing IP addressesunknown13 May
  • Re: Packing IP addressesSasha Pachev13 May
  • Re: Packing IP addressesSteve Lihn13 May