List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Nobody Date:May 12 1999 5:22pm
Subject:Re: egcs, MySQL and internal compiler error
View as plain text
Chris Trown wrote:

>      Ok, I think I know the cause of the error and a fix.
>
>         Cause: Not enough virtual memory.
>
>         Soln: Increase the Swap space.
>
>      When I last tried to build mysql on my linux box, I hadn't added the huge
> swap partition I have.  I also use this box as a web search engine, so it
> requires a HUGE amount of swapspace.
>
>      Once I added the swapspace, egcs built MySQL just fine.
>
>      I think that the error message that egcs produces is inadequate.  It
> should say "virtual memory exceeded" instead of "Internal compiler error".
>
>      Thanks to the member of this list who pointed out that the problem was
> related to egcs compiling large files.  That prompted me to try again with the
> larger swap space.  Note that I compiled it with all the optomizations(-O6)
> turned on.

Note the remark from "monty": If compilation fails due to compiler
errors like:
	"internal error"
	"Out Of mem"
	"..."
one should use the --low-memory flag for configure. I have about 500
(!!!) Meg
swap (on a HP UX 10.20 machine) but compilation failed. After disabling
the "-O"
it all compiled and MySQL seems stable. Actually this configure option
is
described in CH17 from the Manual.

Happy ..,
--
| Gerrit Jan Brendeke                |- Alcatel Telecom Nederland BV -|
::::: |
| Fax.  : (+31) 70 3079 191          |- NL-2280 GG Rijswijk
| mailto:brendeke@stripped |->  Honi soit qui mal y pense <-|
\_/  |
Thread
egcs, MySQL and internal compiler errorChris Trown12 May
  • Re: egcs, MySQL and internal compiler errorNobody12 May