List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:May 12 1999 11:53am
Subject:Re: "connect to server at 'localhost' failed
View as plain text
At 11:34 AM +0300 5/12/1999, Jani Tolonen wrote:
>Jesper Lindhardt writes:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I've been fighting with MySQL for the last 3-4 days, trying to install
>it on my FreeBSD (2.2.8) server. But, I can't get it to work, and I can't
>figure out what is wrong.
> >
> > Whenever I try to run mysqladmin it gives me the following errormessage:
> >
> > mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> > error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)'
> > Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!
>
>Hi!
>
>Have you started MySQL server, 'mysqld'? If you have, have you
>defined it to listen to some other socket than the default
>one, '/tmp/mysql.sock' ? It seems that mysqld is not running.

Since this is FreeBSD 2.2.8, your distribution may be built to use
MIT-pthreads,
which doesn't support connections on UNIX domain sockets.  Try establishing
a TCP/IP connection instead by providing an explicit -h your-host-name
option.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
"connect to server at 'localhost' failedJesper Lindhardt12 May