List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jani Tolonen Date:May 12 1999 10:50am
Subject:Re: Newbie Frustration-- mysql_install_db problem
View as plain text
Sergej Zoubok writes:
 > Hi Jani,
 >
 > When I try and run mysql_install_db, I get the following:
 >
 > [flexdesi@s2c mysql]$ scripts/mysql_install_db

Hi!

Did you run the command above as root?

 > Creating db table
 > Creating host table
 > Creating user table
 > Creating func table
 > Creating tables_priv table
 > Creating columns_priv table
 > scripts/mysql_install_db: 134841568: Permission denied
 > Installation of grant tables failed!
 >
 > Examine the logs in ./data for more information.
 > You can also try to start the mysqld demon with:
 > ./bin/mysqld --skip-grant &
 > You can use the command line tool
 > ./bin/mysql to connect to the mysql
 > database and look at the grant tables:
 >
 > shell> ./bin/mysql -u root mysql
 > mysql> show tables
 >
 > Try 'mysqld --help' if you have problems with paths. Using --log
 > gives you a log in ./data that may be helpful.
 >

 > Does that help at all?
 >

 > Thanks,
 >
 > Sergej

You should do as mysql_install_db tells you to do.

1.) Check if you have a log file in ./data directory
    (it is the directory where MySQL creates the databases)
    and paste to your mail the contents of the log files.

2.) Try to start your MySQL daemon with
    [flexdesi@s2c mysql]$ mysqld --skip-grant
                          --log='/the/path/and/name/for/log_file &

3.) [flexdesi@s2c mysql]$ mysql -u root mysql

    Then you get in the mysql monitor:

    mysql> show tables;

If the 3.rd works, try to install the privileges manually;
from the MySQL manual you'll get help how to proceed.

If you didn't ran mysql_install_db as a super (root) user,
try to do it. The permission denied may be because you don't
have the necessarily rights to run the script as a normal user.
If you are not able to run it as a root, or it doesn't help,
then try to modify the tables in 'mysql' -database manually.
Please read the manual about how to set up privileges before
you try to do anything else.

If you still ran in problems:

- Read the section 'How to report bugs or problems' from the
  manual.
- Include all the information you have in the log files to your mail.
  (Remember to start mysqld with --skip-grant and --log -option!)

Yours,

- Jani

| TcX  ____  __     _____   _____  ___       ==  mysql@stripped         |
|     /*/\*\/\*\   /*/ \*\ /*/ \*\ |*|       Jani Tolonen             |
|    /*/ /*/ /*/   \*\_   |*|   |*||*|       mailto: jani@stripped      |
|   /*/ /*/ /*/\*\/*/  \*\|*|   |*||*|       Helsinki                 |
|  /*/     /*/  /*/\*\_/*/ \*\_/*/ |*|_____  Finland                  |
|  ^^^^^^^^^^^^/*/^^^^^^^^^^^\*\^^^^^^^^^^^                           |
|             /*/             \*\                   Developers Team   |

 > >Hello!
 > >
 > >You might need to run mysql_install_db as root.  What is the error
 > >message you get *exactly*?  MySQL works for Linux 2.0 and above.
 > >If you got an authorization error, it is no reason to uprade
 > >anything yet. Anyway, if you have kernel 2.0.33, (I assume you
 > >have RedHat 5.0 ?) You might need to upgrade libraries etc. from
 > >RedHat errata. (http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/errata.html)
 > >
 > >Please search keyword 'mysql_install_db' and read the section 'How to
 > >report bugs or problems' from the manual.
 > >
 > >Regards,
 > >
 > >- Jani
 >

 > >Sergej Zoubok writes:
 > > > Hi all,
 > > >
 > > > After a day and a half of reading the documentation, list archives and
 > > > trying to install mySQL, I'm at an impasse. Any help would be greatly
 > > > appreciated.
 > > >
 > > > I have a virtual server (reseller account) on which I have root access.
The
 > > > specfics are as follows:
 > > >
 > > > Linux Redhat version 2.0.33
 > > > Apache 1.3.4 Server
 > > >

 > > > I dowloaded and extracted mysql-3.22.22-pc-linux-gnu-i686.tar.gz
 > > >
 > > > The problem occurs when I issue the following command:
 > > >
 > > > shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
 > > >
 > > > This results in an error message regarding insufficient authorization to
 > > > continue. Is Redhat 2.0.33 too old for mySQL? Can I upgrade selective
 > > > components?
 > > >
 > > > Best,
 > > >
 > > > Sergej
 > >

 > ********************
 > Sergej Zoubok
 > New York University
 > Doctoral Candidate
 > Department of Politics
 > sqz1909@stripped

Thread
Newbie Frustration-- mysql_install_db problemSergej Zoubok11 May
  • Newbie Frustration-- mysql_install_db problemJani Tolonen11 May
    • Re: Newbie Frustration-- mysql_install_db problemSergej Zoubok12 May
      • Re: Newbie Frustration-- mysql_install_db problemJani Tolonen12 May