List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jani Tolonen Date:May 12 1999 8:34am
Subject:"connect to server at 'localhost' failed
View as plain text
Jesper Lindhardt writes:
 > Hi guys,
 >
 > I've been fighting with MySQL for the last 3-4 days, trying to install it on my
FreeBSD (2.2.8) server. But, I can't get it to work, and I can't figure out what is
wrong.

 > Whenever I try to run mysqladmin it gives me the following errormessage:
 >
 > mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
 > error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)'
 > Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

Hi!

Have you started MySQL server, 'mysqld'? If you have, have you
defined it to listen to some other socket than the default
one, '/tmp/mysql.sock' ? It seems that mysqld is not running.

 > I've been through the troubleshooting pages several times and tried to start all
over with the installation, but without any luck.

 > Also, when I run the mysql_install_db it doesn't seem like it's installing anything,
but just gives me some text information. I don't know if that is correct?

It is impossible to say if it is correct, if you don't show it!
mysql_install_db as the other programs may give many kind
of information when running. But mysql_install_db doesn't start
MySQL server, you have to do it yourself. What distribution of
MySQL do you have, binary or source and what version?

 > I really hope there's someone out there able to help me out, as I'm out of ideas by
now.

Have you read the README and INSTALL-[BINARY,SOURCE] that came with
your MySQL ditribution? There you have instructions how to proceed.
If the instructions are *not* good (clear), please let us
know about it and we'll try to fix it.

Please see section 'How to report bugs or problems' from the
manual and resend with mysqlbug, if still in trouble.

Yours,

- Jani

| TcX  ____  __     _____   _____  ___       ==  mysql@stripped         |
|    /*/ /*/ /*/   \*\_   |*|   |*||*|       mailto: jani@stripped      |
|             /*/             \*\                   Developers Team   |
"connect to server at 'localhost' failedJesper Lindhardt12 May
  • "connect to server at 'localhost' failedJani Tolonen12 May
    • Re: "connect to server at 'localhost' failedPaul DuBois12 May