List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Darrell Shifflett Date:May 12 1999 2:40am
Subject:Re: Running mysql
View as plain text
On Wed, 5 May 1999, Sandrine C. wrote:

> How can I be sure that evrythg is instalmled properlyt
> as my data base is empty i did an rpm -e of packages :
> MySQL-3_22_22-1_i386.rpm
> MySQL-bench-3_22_22-1_i386.rpm
> MySQL-client-3_22_22-1_i386.rpm

rpm -e MySQL-3_22_22-1
rpm -e MySQL-bench-3_22_22-1
rpm -e MySQL-client-3_22_22-1

is all needed to remove there packages. Install
MySQL-devel-3_22_22-1_i386.rpm also when you do a reinstall.

> and reinstalled them with rpm -ivh.

Yes, thats correct

> When i do
> [root@localhost bin]# mysqladmin -u root password -p password
> Enter password:
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'
> Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!
> [root@localhost bin]# cd /usr/bin
> [root@localhost bin]# mysqld &
> [3] 2223
> [root@localhost bin]# 990505 10:12:35  Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP
> port: Adresse d> 990505 10:12:35  Do you already have another mysqld server running on port:
> 3307 ?
> 990505 10:12:35  Aborting
>

> [3]+  Exit 1                  mysqld

Okay, when you rpm -e the MySQL rpm's it dosent rm the /var/lib/mysql
main directory. This contains the mysql.sock= ... In my experience
i had to rpm -e all MySQL packages, then rm /var/lib/mysql, then rpm -ivh
This should automatically start MySQL.

/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'

That should set the first initioal password.

Thread
Running mysqlDaniel Lacal5 May
  • Running mysqlJani Tolonen11 May
Re: Running mysqlSandrine C.12 May
  • Re: Running mysqlDarrell Shifflett12 May