List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:March 27 2000 8:18pm
Subject:Re: Finding out the charset
View as plain text
In the last episode (Mar 27), Autarch said:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Thimble Smith wrote:
> > Actually, the move is away from any such functions; executing an
> > SQL statement is the most portable way to make information
> > available.  What do you have against it?  The isamchk functionality
> > is also moving into the server, to be called via SQL statements.
>
> Hmm, it just seems weird to use SQL for things that aren't my data, I
> guess.  If that's the standard then that's fine.  I guess maybe I'll
> do some ifdef's for the patch or something.  I dunno.

Oracle uses SQL for absolutely everything.  There are a couple dozen V$
and DBA_ tables that let you access everything from column names to
access rights to cache hit rates.  It makes it easier to query and
present data, whether it's yours of the system's.

I would rather see the query be soemthing like "select value from
_mysql_variables where name='character set'", myself.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped