List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:May 11 1999 9:55pm
Subject:Re: Timestamp update question
View as plain text

>> Hi!
>>
>> In the case of:
>>
>> SET timestamp_colum=timestamp_column
>>
>> You will only loose a memcpy() of size of the timestamp column (4
>> bytes) + some setup.  I don't think you will notice this...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Monty

Kelly>   This is good news. Now, for another performance-related question: is
Kelly> there a way to get query results still in binary form? In other words,
Kelly> right now, in C, I have to stroul() the return values (of integer fields)
Kelly> to convert them from decimal-representation (suitable for printing) back
Kelly> to binary-representation (suitable for anything else). Of course, there
Kelly> would have to be some way to specify values to return for instances where
Kelly> the field was NULL.
Kelly>   Somehow, I doubt it, but seeing as the name of the game is speed, and
Kelly> surely mysql stores the data in binary form (to save disk space and
Kelly> memory), it seems silly to have mysql waste time converting numbers into
Kelly> ASCII decimal representation just so I can convert them back.

Hi!

We decided to use ASCII to keep the interface simple, portable and
compatible with mSQL.  We will in the future make it possible to
transfer binary data between server/client;  One must only first
design a nice interface for this.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Timestamp update questionKelly Yancey11 May
  • Timestamp update questionMichael Widenius11 May
    • Re: Timestamp update questionKelly Yancey11 May
      • Re: Timestamp update questionMichael Widenius12 May