List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jani Tolonen Date:May 11 1999 4:20pm
Subject:Backups (round 2)
View as plain text
Blaine Grady writes:
 > I'm back with the same questions as before.  I did read the manual on
 > backups, but it did not answer my questions.  Given that I am running Linux,
 > --skip-locking is turned on by default.  The manual says in order to copy
 > the raw files, I will need to shut mysql down if I cannot guarantee noone
 > is accessing the files.  I run a webserver with database-intensive pages.
 > Someone is always hitting a database and I don't have the option of
 > shutting down my databases when I make a backup.  So, can I make a reliable
 > backup every night given the above conditions?  If I can't, can I turn off
 > the --skip-locking switch, and not have any problems on Linux?
 >
 > If neither of these are possible, I will have to switch to another
 > database.  I have to be able to make a backup on live files.  Any help will be
 > appreciated.
 >

 > Blaine Grady
 > Webmaster/Database Developer
 > Kragie Newell Integrated Marketing

Hi!

No problem, just do
shell> mysqldump --tab=/path/to/some/dir --lock-tables --quick
to backup the data.

With --skip-locking MySQL will turn off the system external
locking, but MySQL has still internal locking which can be used.

I assume you have only one MySQL server running on same tables?

Yours,

- Jani

| TcX  ____  __     _____   _____  ___       ==  mysql@stripped         |
|    /*/ /*/ /*/   \*\_   |*|   |*||*|       mailto: jani@stripped      |
|             /*/             \*\                   Developers Team   |
Backups (round 2)Blaine Grady11 May
  • Re: Backups (round 2)Vivek Khera11 May
  • Backups (round 2)Jani Tolonen11 May