List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:March 23 2000 4:26pm
Subject:Re: The turtle and the rabbit.
View as plain text
In the last episode (Mar 23), Pablo Prieto said:
> I'd like to change to Linux-MySQL but I'm still afraid of the locked
> tables. Here we are 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and, with a
> lot of work, I can't afford to remember to "OPTIMIZE TABLE" several
> times, or once, a day.

You shouldn't need to OPTIMIZE TABLES more than once a week, if even
that.  And you only need it if you are deleting and inserting records
into a table with variable-length rows (blob, varchar).  If you can
make sure that your heavily-used tables are fixed-width, you don't even
need OPTIMIZE at all unless you delete a lot of records, know that
you're not going to re-insert the same amount later, and want to
recover the space.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped