List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Vivek Khera Date:May 11 1999 3:33pm
Subject:Re: Backups (round 2)
View as plain text

BG> I'm back with the same questions as before.  I did read the manual on
BG> backups, but it did not answer my questions.  Given that I am running Linux,
BG> --skip-locking is turned on by default.  The manual says in order to copy
BG> the raw files, I will need to shut mysql down if I cannot guarantee noone
BG> is accessing the files.  I run a webserver with database-intensive pages.
BG> Someone is always hitting a database and I don't have the option of

If nobody is updating those files, then you can safely back them up at
any time.  Only if writing is going on do you have to worry about
that.

You can also do a "mysqldump" at any time to get a safe snapshot.
Thread
Backups (round 2)Blaine Grady11 May
  • Re: Backups (round 2)Vivek Khera11 May
  • Backups (round 2)Jani Tolonen11 May