List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:May 11 1999 5:34am
Subject:Re: DAYNAME not using --language thing
View as plain text

Christian> Fredrik Axtelius wrote:

>> I added --language=swedish when starting up my mysqld and thought i would
>> give me
>> swedish names in things like DAYNAME but I didn´t.
>> Is there a way to do this or am I doing something wrong??
>>
>> Server is version 3.22.20a, compiled by me with egcs 1.1.2 on Solaris
>> 7/Sparc.
>>
>> root@nic# mysqladmin variables
>> +----------------------------+------------------------------------+
>> | Variable_name              | Value                              |
>> +----------------------------+------------------------------------+
>> ---snip
>> | language                   | /export/mysql/share/mysql/swedish/ |

mysql> select DAYNAME(NOW());
>> +----------------+
>> | DAYNAME(NOW()) |
>> +----------------+
>> | Wednesday      |
>> +----------------+
>> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>>
>> TIA
>> /Fredrik

Christian> Hi Fredrik

Christian> No you don't make any error.
Christian> The above setting will only affect the sorting of CHAR, VARCHAR and TEXT
> fields.
Christian> It will (at least at the moment) not change the day or month names.

Christian> Sorry,
Christian> Christian

Hi!

I thought that ODBC requires one to return the month names/weekdays in
English.  I just checked the ODBC documentation and noticed that one
is allowed to return the date strings in any language.

We will fix the in MySQL 3.23.x

Regards,
Monty
Thread
DAYNAME not using --language thingFredrik Axtelius5 May
  • Re: DAYNAME not using --language thingChristian Mack5 May
    • Re: DAYNAME not using --language thingMichael Widenius11 May