List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:May 10 1999 11:14pm
Subject:Re: Threaded applications using mysql
View as plain text

Christian> Shane Wegner wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I wrote an application which uses threads and I am planning to add Mysql
>> support.  My question is one relating to design and that is when a
>> multithreaded program uses Mysql using the mysqlclient library, is it best
>> to have each thread connect to the Mysql server seperately or is it safe
>> to use a shared handle.  The MYSQL_RES and MYSQL_ROW would be local to the
>> thread of corse but can the handle be global?  If it can, what will happen
>> when two threads submit a query?  Will the second wait until the first
>> completes or should this construct just be avoided?
>>
>> --
>> Shane Wegner: shane@stripped

Christian> Hi Shane

Christian> You have to give each thread its own connection.
Christian> Mysql connections can't handle two concurrent queries.
Christian> If you want to reduce the amount of open connections, you can create a
> connection pool.
Christian> This obviously only will spare some connections as long as not all threads
> are querying at the same time.

Christian> Tschau
Christian> Christian

Hi!

You can use a global handle as long as you ensure that no other thread
calls access the handle until you have called mysql_store_result().

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Threaded applications using mysqlShane Wegner5 May
  • Re: Threaded applications using mysqlChristian Mack5 May
    • Re: Threaded applications using mysqlMichael Widenius11 May
  • Re: Threaded applications using mysqlSasha Pachev11 May
    • Re: Threaded applications using mysqlMichael Widenius11 May