List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:March 16 2000 2:30pm
Subject:Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!
View as plain text
Hi!

Ben> Hi everyone!
Ben> Thanks for all of the interest and guidance on this issue.
Ben> It sounds like I need to recompile MySQL with the necessary
Ben> #defines to enable LFS.  Shouldn't the binary distribution already
Ben> be configured this way?  When I tried it only supported 2GB tables.
Ben> This was version 3.23.11-alpha-sun-solaris-2.7

Yes, the default binary for 2.7 should use big tables.
How did you verify that MySQL doesn't support big tables.

Try the following:

mysql> create table test (a int, b char(255)) max_rows=1000000000;
mysql> show table status like "test";

What do you get as 'Max_data_length' ?

Ben> I've never compiled MySQL from source, I'm hoping some kind
Ben> soul who knows what to do can do this and post the binary on the MySQL
Ben> download site ;-)

If you have gcc 2.95.2 installed, this is trivial:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
make
make install
scripts/mysql_install_db

(More about this in the MySQL manual)

Ben> So does MySQL need to be recompiled?  Should I attempt it or
Ben> is there a timeframe when a newly compiled version will be available??

As we for moment don't have access to a Solaris 2.7 machine to build
binaries, we can't create a new Solaris 2.7 binary until some kind
sole has given us access to such a machine.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Ben Willis15 Mar
  • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!sinisa15 Mar
  • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Ben Willis15 Mar
  • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!sasha15 Mar
  • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Ben Willis16 Mar
  • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!sasha16 Mar
    • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Michael Widenius16 Mar
    • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Vivek Khera16 Mar
  • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Paul D. Smith16 Mar
    • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Michael Widenius16 Mar
  • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!sasha16 Mar
  • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Ben Willis16 Mar
    • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Michael Widenius16 Mar
  • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Ben Willis16 Mar
    • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Michael Widenius17 Mar
  • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Ben Willis6 Apr
    • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Thimble Smith7 Apr
    • Re: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Michael Widenius7 Apr
RE: HELP! I need REALLY BIG Tables!Quentin Bennett16 Mar