List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Colin McKinnon Date:March 16 1999 9:59am
Subject:Re: Caching..
View as plain text
At 03:51 15/03/99 -0700, Sasha Pachev <sasha@stripped> wrote:
>Mark Papadakis wrote:
>> It might sound a bit crazy, but is there any way I can get Linux/mySQL
to cache
>One sure way to do it is create a RAM disk, and every time  you boot,
>mount it on /usr/local/mysql/data/my_fast_database then copy
>to my_fast_database, and periodically runcheckpoints to make sure you do
>not loose you updates if the system crashes.
>Sasha Pachev
If you have more physical memory than is needed for the programs running,
then the system will use what's left to cache file data on a LRU basis.
AFAIK there's no way to set priorities for the use of this facility or to
displace processes to virtual memory to free RAM.

I beleive the paid-for version of MySQL supports in-memory stuff and other
things for speeding up access. See the manual for more info.

Caching..Mark Papadakis15 Mar
  • Re: Caching..Sasha Pachev15 Mar
    • Re: Caching..Colin McKinnon16 Mar