List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:terry jones Date:May 7 1999 9:25pm
Subject:Re: Sparse tables in MySQL
View as plain text
>>>>> "Christian" == Christian Mack <Mack@stripped> writes:
Christian> What you search for is the SET column type of mysql.  In it
Christian> you can store up to 64 different boolean types by name.
Christian> Just read manual section '7.2.7.4 The SET type' and '7.3.9
Christian> String functions' over functions FIND_IN_SET(...) and
Christian> MAKE_SET(...).

Jim> Have you looked at the bit operators? You could do something like:
Jim> SELECT matrixrow FROM table
Jim> WHERE matrixcolumn & (1 << 11) AND maxtrixcolumn & (1 << 16) =
> 0;
Jim> 11 is the 12th property and 16 is the 17th property.

Again I realize that I haven't said enough.

Both of these solutions suffer (I think) from being too small scale
for my purposes. I want to have hundreds, or thousands, of these
properties. As well as having tens of thousands of rows in the tables.

Thanks again, and sorry for again not being clear...

Terry.
Thread
Sparse tables in MySQLterry jones7 May
  • Re: Sparse tables in MySQLMarco Becchio7 May
  • Re: Sparse tables in MySQLterry jones7 May
  • Re: Sparse tables in MySQLChristian Mack7 May
  • Re: Sparse tables in MySQLterry jones8 May
  • Re: Sparse tables in MySQLSasha Pachev8 May
  • Re: Sparse tables in MySQLterry jones10 May