List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Vivek Khera Date:March 6 2000 10:08pm
Subject:Re: Best way to save 1..50 states into a database.
View as plain text

MRC> A CHAR(2) or CHAR(3) would work **IF** each job could appear in only
MRC> one state....however, I need to allow a single job to appear in
MRC> multiple states, possibly even all 50!

MRC> What about a CHAR(150), where I could add in states separated by
MRC> commas?

Then your searches become hard.  Normalize your table structure.  If
you don't know what that means, I strongly recommend getting a good
book on relational database design.  It will be well worth the effort.

To save you time right now: make another table to have a list of
states per job, and link the two using a primary key of the jobs
table.
Thread
Best way to save 1..50 states into a database.Mark R. Cervarich7 Mar
  • Re: Best way to save 1..50 states into a database.David Block7 Mar
    • Re: Best way to save 1..50 states into a database.Mark R. Cervarich7 Mar
      • Re: Best way to save 1..50 states into a database.David VanHorn7 Mar
        • Re: Best way to save 1..50 states into a database.David Block7 Mar
          • Re: Best way to save 1..50 states into a database.David VanHorn7 Mar
      • Re: Best way to save 1..50 states into a database.Vivek Khera7 Mar
      • Re: Best way to save 1..50 states into a database.David Block7 Mar
  • Re: Best way to save 1..50 states into a database.Steve Ruby7 Mar