List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:May 6 1999 5:31am
Subject:Re: MYSQL+PHP+PERL
View as plain text
On Fri, May 07, 1999 at 10:50:36AM +0700, abu wrote:
> Is The PHP replate PERL because PHP have PERL syntax  ?
> How to work together (I mean INSTALL) MYSQL+PHP+PERL of course APACHE !

PHP doesn't replace Perl, although usually you'll use one or the other,
but not both, in a project.

Installing PHP is separate from installing Perl.  They don't have anything
to do with each other.

I don't know anything about installing PHP, although I've heard it is
extremely easy to get PHP working with MySQL.

To get Perl working with MySQL, just do this:

1)  Install Perl, if you haven't already.
2)  Install MySQL.
3)  Install the Perl modules listed on http://www.mysql.com/downloads.html
4)  Try it out:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use DBI;

my $dsn = "DBI:mysql:";
my ($user, $pass) = ('', '');   # you may need to fix these

my $dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, $user, $pass)
    or die "connect failed: ", $DBI::errstr;

my $sth = $dbh->prepare('SHOW DATABASES')
    or die "prepare failed: ", $dbh->errstr;

$sth->execute
    or die "execute failed: ", $sth->errstr;

while (my $row = $sth->fetchrow_arrayref) {
    print join('', map {"($_)"} @$row), "\n";
}

$sth->finish;

$dbh->disconnect;

exit;

Once you have that working, you can try installing mod_perl
(see perl.apache.org for lots of information on that), if
you want.  You don't need mod_perl in order to use MySQL
and Perl for your CGI programs, though.

Tim
Thread
MYSQL+PHP+PERLabu6 May