List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:February 28 2000 10:38pm
Subject:Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBois
View as plain text
At 4:26 PM -0600 02-28-2000, j.urban wrote:
>>  Amazon is also useful as a source of reviews of the two MySQL books,
>>  whether you buy from them or not.  I'm not aware of any other online
>>  reviews at bookseller sites.
>
>That's just ridiculous.  Most on-line booksellers have user-submitted
>reviews.
>
>I just did a quick check of a few sites and the following all allow you to
>enter a reader review:
>
>Borders
>Barnes and Noble
>BookPool
>Internet Bookshop

Allow me to clarify.  Amazon is the only site that I know of that
actually *has* reviews of the New Riders books.

>The thing is, Amazon has more customers, therefore they are more likely to
>have more reviews...
>
>On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Paul DuBois wrote:
>
>>  At 6:32 PM +0000 02-28-2000, Nicholas Brandon wrote:
>>  >Due to some highly recommended reviews, I am looking at purchasing this
>>  >book.
>>  >
>>  >However, at Amazon.com it says it is 850 pages and at Amazon.co.uk (where I
>>  >would like to buy it from) it says 450 pages. Can someone (who has the book
>>  >preferably) tell me which one is correct - Or is there a different version
>>  >for US or UK.
>>  >
>>  >Thanks
>>  >
>>  >Nick Brandon
>>

>>  Neither is correct.  There are 756 pages + 29 pages of introductory stuff
>>  (table of contents, intro, etc.).  There's also some extra stuff at the
>>  back describing other titles by New Riders.  Altogether about 800 pages if
>>  you count it all.
>>
>>  The discrepancies come about because publishers are anxious to get info
>>  out to the booksellers as early as possible.  The early info is bound to
>>  be incorrect, but then getting the sellers to update their listings is
>>  a big problem.  For instance, Amazon lists the publisher as Other New
>>  Riders, when it's just New Riders, and they don't have the correct cover
>>  image.  It took a while just to get them to correct my last name from
>>  Dubois to DuBois.
>>
>>  I have no particular view of the Amazon controversy, although I do find
>>  it interesting to watch the book ranking go up and down, and Amazon is the
>>  only one that has it.  The lowest price I've seen is at Bookpool.com.
>>  Amazon is slightly higher (for a long while they were showing it a full
>>  list, for some reason).
>>
>>  Amazon is also useful as a source of reviews of the two MySQL books,
>>  whether you buy from them or not.  I'm not aware of any other online
>>  reviews at bookseller sites.  There's a review of my book and other
>>  PHP-related books at: http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/products.html
>>
>>  --
>>  Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
>>
>>  --

Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
MySql Book by Paul DuBoisNicholas Brandon28 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisRobert D. Williams28 Feb
  • RE: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisMark D Wolinski28 Feb
  • RE: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisRobert V. Zwink28 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisGerald Clark28 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisirena28 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisMicah Yoder28 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisGraeme B. Davis29 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoiscurt29 Feb
Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisRyan Caveney28 Feb
  • RE: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisRobert V. Zwink28 Feb
Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisPaul DuBois29 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisj.urban29 Feb