List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:February 28 2000 9:44pm
Subject:Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBois
View as plain text
At 6:32 PM +0000 02-28-2000, Nicholas Brandon wrote:
>Due to some highly recommended reviews, I am looking at purchasing this
>book.
>
>However, at Amazon.com it says it is 850 pages and at Amazon.co.uk (where I
>would like to buy it from) it says 450 pages. Can someone (who has the book
>preferably) tell me which one is correct - Or is there a different version
>for US or UK.
>
>Thanks
>
>Nick Brandon

Neither is correct.  There are 756 pages + 29 pages of introductory stuff
(table of contents, intro, etc.).  There's also some extra stuff at the
back describing other titles by New Riders.  Altogether about 800 pages if
you count it all.

The discrepancies come about because publishers are anxious to get info
out to the booksellers as early as possible.  The early info is bound to
be incorrect, but then getting the sellers to update their listings is
a big problem.  For instance, Amazon lists the publisher as Other New
Riders, when it's just New Riders, and they don't have the correct cover
image.  It took a while just to get them to correct my last name from
Dubois to DuBois.

I have no particular view of the Amazon controversy, although I do find
it interesting to watch the book ranking go up and down, and Amazon is the
only one that has it.  The lowest price I've seen is at Bookpool.com.
Amazon is slightly higher (for a long while they were showing it a full
list, for some reason).

Amazon is also useful as a source of reviews of the two MySQL books,
whether you buy from them or not.  I'm not aware of any other online
reviews at bookseller sites.  There's a review of my book and other
PHP-related books at: http://phpclasses.UpperDesign.com/products.html

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
MySql Book by Paul DuBoisNicholas Brandon28 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisRobert D. Williams28 Feb
  • RE: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisMark D Wolinski28 Feb
  • RE: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisRobert V. Zwink28 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisGerald Clark28 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisirena28 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisMicah Yoder28 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisGraeme B. Davis29 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoiscurt29 Feb
Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisRyan Caveney28 Feb
  • RE: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisRobert V. Zwink28 Feb
Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisPaul DuBois29 Feb
  • Re: MySql Book by Paul DuBoisj.urban29 Feb