List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:May 5 1999 12:01pm
Subject:Re: root passwd ??
View as plain text
"Sandrine C." wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have install mysql 3.22 on RH5.2
> now have to set the password for root.
> it is said that i have to do :
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
> but if i do that, the psswd will not be crypted??!!
>
> for example if my psswd is toto have I to write
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password toto
>
> Then it is said as well in the manual that I have to run
> scripts/mysql_install_db
>
> I have the file "mysql_install_db" but I found nowhere a
> "scripts/mysql_install_db".. What am I suppose to do??
>
> Furthermore, it is said taht :
> To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server to
> the right place for your system
>
> WHERE IS THAT PLACE ???
>
> Thanks for ur help
>
> Sandrine

Hi Sandrine

You have to first run the script scripts/mysql_install_db.
This means, that you have to go to the directory above the file 'mysql_install_db'.
In this directory you find a subdirectory named 'scripts'.
In this subdirectory is the file 'mysql_install_db' located.
The short writing for file in relative subdirectory under UNIX/LINUX is:
relative/path/to/file/fileName
The short writing for an absolute subdirectory under UNIX/LINUX is:
/absolute/path/to/file/fileName

At the commandline in the directory above 'mysql_install_db' issue:
# scripts/mysql_install_db

After successfully using this script, you can change the password of the mysql root user
to 'toto' by issue the following command from the commandline:
# /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password toto

This will encrypt 'toto' and insert the encrypted password into the mysql priviledge
tables.

For starting mysqld at boot time you have to copy the file named 'mysql.server' which you
find under subdirectory named 'support-files' to an directory where all startup scripts
are located.
This location is OS specific, so you have to read the man pages of RH.
Sorry don't know RH, but on most UNIX/LINUX OS it is something like /etc/rc2.d
/etc/sbin/rc3.d

Hope this helps
Christian

Thread