List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:February 19 2000 5:29pm
Subject:Re: Still Can't Connect to MySQL using PERL
View as plain text
>Jeremy,
>Thank yo so very much.  Indeed, the mysql.sock is in the
>/var/lib/mysql/ directory.  Could you possibly give me some advice
>on how to get around this? Do I sym link from the /tmp directory, or
>is there something I can configure
>in the DBI/DBD modules to make it look for the mysql.sock in another
>location?  I'd prefer to do the latter, but I don't know where to
>look in order to do this.  In one of the .pm files?  I just wish
>that the two sets of distributions, the 3.22.32 and the
>perl-msql-mysql modules that are both
>linked to from the MySQL site would PLEASE be able to work together
>out of the gate.  Unfortunatley, I really would like to stick with
>rpms on a Red Hat system, or otherwise, I would compile my own
>binaries.  And I don't know how to make rpms yet.
>Thanks,
>Laszlo Szijarto

Here are a couple of things you can try.

1) If you have access to /etc/my.cnf, put this in it:

[client]
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

(If you already have a [client] option group in /etc/my.cnf,
just add the socket line to it.)  This will cause all client
programs on the machine to use the named socket path for connections
to localhost.

2) In your data source name in your Perl script, use a value like
this:

$dsn = "DBI:mysql:db_name:localhost;mysql_socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock";

(Note: it's s semi-colon before "mysql_socket", not  a colon.)
This will use the named socket on a per-script basis.

Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
Re: Still Can't Connect to MySQL using PERLLaszlo G. Szijarto19 Feb
  • Re: Still Can't Connect to MySQL using PERLVan19 Feb
  • Re: Still Can't Connect to MySQL using PERLPaul DuBois19 Feb
  • Re: Still Can't Connect to MySQL using PERLLaszlo G. Szijarto19 Feb
    • Re: Still Can't Connect to MySQL using PERLPaul DuBois20 Feb
Re: Still Can't Connect to MySQL using PERLEd Carp19 Feb