List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:May 4 1999 3:25am
Subject:Re: C API
View as plain text
At 11:01 AM -0700 5/3/1999, Sean O'Dell wrote:
>Where can I get started using the C API for MySQL under RedHat
>Linux?  I got MySQL installed and running and have walked through
>the mysql client tutorial.  Now I need to program using it.  I'm not
>unfamiliar with SQL, but I haven't actually done any plain old SQL/C
>programming (ODBC using SQL, yes).  I've got plenty of reading
>material on SQL and the MySQL C API seems simple enough, but I don't
>know how to put basic SQL together with the C API.  That is, I've
>got something partially working, but I'm unsure what I ought to be
>doing to do things like lookup a record, modify it, add records,
>etc, etc.
>
>A book or tutorial on programming to the MySQL C API would be very
>helpful.  Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction?

There is a general description of how to use the C API calls in the
C API manual chapter, after the listing of the calls and before the
more detailed description of each call.  This should give you the
general logic of how to do it.  For example code, get a source
distribution of MySQL and look at some of the client programs that
are written in C.  That'll show you how live working programs use
the API.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
C APISean O'Dell3 May