List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:May 3 1999 8:18pm
Subject:Re: possibly interesting sub_string problem
View as plain text
Hi gl3

It has to be different!
Because:
Query #1 gets all occurencies of 'indian' which can also be part of other words.
Query #2 gets only occurencies of the word 'indian' if it is enclosed by spaces.
Query #3 gets all occurencies of any word starting with 'indian' and has a space before
the character i.
Query #4 gets all occurrencies of any word ending in 'indian' and with a space behind the
character n.

Tschau
Christian

gl3 wrote:

> I'm getting different results with seemingly equal query strings. Goal is
> to find all occurances of the word "INDIAN" within a field of a certain
> table. For our purposes, spaces should not effect results; wer'e simply
> looking for the string "INDIAN", however the results below would suggest
> otherwise. Can anyone explain this behaviour? Any ideas?
>
> Gavin LaRowe
> University of Chicago
>
> ---------------------
>
> Query #1:
>
> select * from $TABLENAME where (title like "%INDIAN%");
>
> Results: 730
>
> Query #2:
>
> select * from $TABLENAME where (title like "% INDIAN %");
>
> Results: 336
>
> Query #3:
>
> select * from $TABLENAME where (title like "% INDIAN%");
>
> Results: 339
>
> Query #4:
>
> select * from $TABLENAME where (title like "%INDIAN %")
>
> Results: 726

Thread
possibly interesting sub_string problemgl33 May
  • Re: possibly interesting sub_string problemJim Faucette4 May
  • Re: possibly interesting sub_string problemChristian Mack4 May