List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:February 9 2000 1:19pm
Subject:Re: install problem
View as plain text
Hi!

sasha> kev wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to install MySQL from source, following the instructions in
>> the manual.
>> I got past point 9, and tried to start the DB with ./scripts/safe_mysqld
>> &, but I got this output:
>>
>> [root@blackadder mysql-3.22.30]# Starting mysqld daemon with databases
>> from /usr/local/var
>> /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld: /usr/local/var/blackadder.err: No such file
>> or directory
>> /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld: /usr/local/var/blackadder.err: No such file
>> or directory
>> /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld: /usr/local/var/blackadder.err: No such file
>> or directory
>> mysqld daemon ended
>>
>> I then created /usr/local/var (shouldn't make install have done that? or
>> at least reported the problem?).
>> Anyway, so it is actually creating the error file now, and this is what
>> it says:
>>
>> mysqld started on  Tue Feb 8 11:43:28 GMT 2000
>> 000208 11:43:29  /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't
>> exist
>> mysqld ended on  Tue Feb 8 11:43:29 GMT 2000
>>
>> What have I done wrong?
>>
>> thanks in advance,
>>
>> - Kev

sasha> It seems like mysql_install_db created the tables and databases in a different
sasha> directory. Look at the source of mysql_install_db to see where it did it, then
sasha> fix up the datadir option is safe_mysqld to point to the right place.

sasha> Sorry, we have a bit of a mess in our safe_mysqld -- we'll try to fix it in the
sasha> next release.

Actually safe_mysqld should work just fine as long as one doesn't move
things around.

What configure options did you use?
Did you run mysql_install_db at all?

Regards,
Monty
Thread
install problemkev8 Feb
  • Re: install problemsasha8 Feb
    • Re: install problemMichael Widenius9 Feb
  • Re: install problemkev9 Feb