List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Terrence W. Zellers Date:February 9 2000 5:41am
Subject:Re: mysql.sock
View as plain text

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Michael Widenius:
> > Terrence> /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock.   This, of course, is a bad thing
> (though
> > Terrence> easily worked around).   Whoever does the build scripts may wish
> > Terrence> repoint the socket to /tmp as per the documentation.
> >
> > David wanted to put the socket at the above page as it was more
> > 'standard' (according to him) and to avoid running into problems with
> > programs that clean up /tmp from garbage files.
> >
> Personally, I prefer /var/run. That's the standard location as per the
> file system standard.
>
> /tmp/ _is_ a somewhat dangerous location for persistent unix-domain sockets.
>
> > I myself still prefer to have /tmp/mysql.sock, but it's David that is
> > in charge of the RPM:s
> >
> You can always create a couple of symlinks...

      My  primary prolem was that the daemon and clients in the rpms were
inconsistant.  Previously I had always built from source, but this was for
a server for my employer and I wanted to build the box as "vanilla" as
possible,  hence my use  of rpms and subsequent momentary perplexity. It
cost me more time to document than to fix (with --socket on safe_mysqld
and export MYSQL_UNIX_PORT in /etc/profile).

     I haven't followed the standards discussions in detail but I'd agree
that /var/run looks like a good place for it.  I never had a problem with
/tmp but I've always had cron jobs updating the tables throughout the day
hence the socket was always fresh.

                                                   -- TWZ

Thread
mysql.sockTerrence W. Zellers4 Feb
  • mysql.sockMichael Widenius9 Feb
    • Re: mysql.sockMatthias Urlichs9 Feb
      • Re: mysql.sockTerrence W. Zellers9 Feb