List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:V Yau Date:April 30 1999 6:11pm
Subject:Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
View as plain text

I have a similar discussion with people in my company.
I had been using MySQL for non-production purposes internally and have
been trying to use it for production level things/tools.

But all the executives and VPs are not comfortable and their
reason is:
   I have to base my business on something is that almost free and
hack together by a bunch of programmers?
They also said that if we use Oracle and it failed, we can
at least sue them  :)

--V

>To: "Sasha Pachev" <sasha@stripped>, <mysql@stripped>
>Subject: Re: Oracle vs MySQL contest
>Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:34:48 +0300
>
> > MySQL is very different in from Oracle-type databases in the way it is
> > marketed, supported, and licenced. It is more affordable, and much
> > better supported, as all of us know very well. Unfortunately, there are
> > many executives and developers that still do not trust MySQL, because of
> > some missing features, the need for workarounds, etc. To overcome this
> > prejudice while helping Monty and the bunch improve MySQL I am proposing
> > a contest - Oracle vs MySQL.
>
>I think it certainly is a question about prejudice, as you stated and
>expected your message to generate a lot of replies. Instead no-one
>seems to react. I just wonder what the reason might be? Are the
>developers of MySQL affraid that their db-engine wouldn't cope
>against the Oracle in performance-tests or are they affraid of
>aggravating the big db-giant into offensive action? One thing is for
>sure; a lot of people rule out MySQL in the very beginning when
>developing largescale, performance critical and stable systems just
>because there is not enough reliable comparative data available.
>Oracle rides on its history and reputation as a fast and stable,
>database when MySQL does not have the same kind of credibility,
>at least not at the broader scale.
>
>It should be in every MySQL-enthusiast's interest to clarify the
>differences between MySQL and heavy and expensive databases
>like Oracle. Even if MySQL would loose some parts of the
>competition, it still is quite much more affordable than Oracle and
>alike. If you could just get out a message of assurance, that MySQL
>is in fact a very competitive, stable and fast solution, even when
>comparing to it's heavy-weight rivals, I defenitely think people would
>consider it more carefully when making decisions about databases
>in large projects.
>
>To sum it up, it would be quite a good idea to set up a competition of
>somekind, as you suggested. Another thing that would be appreciated
>is some kind of collection of statements from people, that have used
>MySQL-successfully in large-scale performance-critical systems;
>preferably by people from well-known and recognized organisations
>worldwide. These kinds of actions would earn MySQL the recognition
>and respect in the worldwide IT-industry that it deserves.
>
>JE

Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev24 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjohan.engstrom26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMogens Melander26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestBrian Timmins26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Watts27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read27 Apr
        • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
          • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDan Nelson27 Apr
            • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPatrick Greenwell27 Apr
              • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev27 Apr
                • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestMichael Widenius28 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestluuk26 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestUnknown Sender26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
      • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev26 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestLuuk de Boer27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestPaul DuBois27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestjonathan michaels27 Apr
    • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestRichard McLean27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestVan27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestJohn Elliott27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Lindberg27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestDerick H Siddoway27 Apr
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestV Yau30 Apr
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestFred Read4 May
  • Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestSasha Pachev4 May
Re: Oracle vs MySQL contestefrazier30 Apr
  • RE: Oracle vs MySQL contestBill Gerrard3 May