List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan Engström Date:April 30 1999 9:02am
Subject:Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHP
View as plain text
>From: Ed Carp <erc@stripped>
>
> There's a saying in certain programming circles that people who don't know
> how to program choose PERL or PHP, people who do choose C or C++, and I
> think there's a certain amount of truth in that.  Why is MySQL qritten in
> C, rather than in PERL?  It would've certainly been easier.  Why is most
> system software written in C?  Why is it that most every modern operating
> system is written in C or C++?

The answer to all your questions is simple; because they all need the
highest
possible speed. But why are none of them written in pure assembly? That
would
be even faster!? For the same reason, as one might very well want to prefer
PHP3 or the alike over C/C++; it's much _faster_ to develop simplish
applications
that are not that performance critical, just like most basic
web-applications are
 (a database and an os on the contrary are certainly performance-critical,
and
can hence not be successfully developed with a scripting-language).
Performance divided by developing time could be seen as a constant. If one
increases the other one does so too, and vice versa (and please don't get
mathematical about this, you get the point).

Personally I don't think we need to involve any kind of classifying of
peoples'
programming talents in this matter.

In my opinion one problem with PHP is, that it tempts you to mix your code
with the layout/design, which is generally not a good thing. But this is of
course
entirely up to the programmer. Otherwise PHP has proven to be a very
efficient
way to develop web-based applications. Oh, yeah, this list is indeed
dedicated
to MySQL, not PHP..

Regards,

Johan

Thread
Need an opinion - C vs PHPas2k.com29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPpete collins29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPWayne Lovely29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPWayne Cease29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPMartin B. Jespersen29 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPGraeme B. Davis29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPMichael Farr29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPkalle volkov29 Apr
      • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPRichard McLean30 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPErik Liljencrantz29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPUnknown Sender29 Apr
RE: Need an opinion - C vs PHPTapan Raj29 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPMichael Farr29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPEd Carp29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPEduardo Arino de la Rubia29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPjohan.engstrom30 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPJay Flaherty30 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPRobin Bowes30 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPGraeme B. Davis29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPBengt Hahn29 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPGraeme B. Davis29 Apr
  • opinion C vs PHP and othersBengt Hahn1 May
RE: Need an opinion - C vs PHPRichard Rossi30 Apr