List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:February 5 2000 9:14pm
Subject:Re: Import Problem
View as plain text
At 12:29 PM -0500 2000-02-05, Mark Allen wrote:
>I'm brand new to MySQL & I'm trying to create a new table using an input
>file but I'm running into problems. The input file creates the table and the
>following lines insert the data:
>
>CREATE TABLE employees (  id tinyint(4) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
>[snip]
>INSERT INTO employees VALUES (2,'John','Roberts','45 There St ,
>Townville','Telephonist');
>  and so on.
>
>However when I try to to this I get the following:
>
>[12:13:18] mark:~/notes$ mysql -u mark -p bib < mydb.dump
>Enter password:
>***
>ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'mark@localhost' (Using password: YES)
>
>It seems mysql is interpreting the mydb.dump as my password (which is not 80
>charcaters long). I get an error if I try to do this w/out password and get
>the same results doing it as root.
>
>What am I doing wrong?

After staring at this one a bit more, I'm going to guess that mysql
is reading the password from the mydb.dump file.  You could test
this by putting your password as the first line of mydb.dump and
seeing what happens.  Or you could specify -pyourpass on the command
line (not recommended), or you could leave off the -p option and
put

[client]
password=yourpass

in your ~/.my.cnf file.