List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:February 5 2000 5:40pm
Subject:Re: Import Problem
View as plain text
At 12:29 PM -0500 2000-02-05, Mark Allen wrote:
>I'm brand new to MySQL & I'm trying to create a new table using an input
>file but I'm running into problems. The input file creates the table and the
>following lines insert the data:
>
>CREATE TABLE employees (  id tinyint(4) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
>[snip]
>INSERT INTO employees VALUES (2,'John','Roberts','45 There St ,
>Townville','Telephonist');
>  and so on.
>
>However when I try to to this I get the following:
>
>[12:13:18] mark:~/notes$ mysql -u mark -p bib < mydb.dump
>Enter password:
>***
>ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'mark@localhost' (Using password: YES)
>
>It seems mysql is interpreting the mydb.dump as my password (which is not 80
>charcaters long). I get an error if I try to do this w/out password and get
>the same results doing it as root.
>
>What am I doing wrong?
>
>Mark
>
>[p.s. I'm following the tutorial at
>http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/21/index2a_page5.html?tw=programming
>Maybe it's the tutorial that's wrong?]

Possibly.  Many of the online tutorials have errors in them.

First you need to try simply to see if you can connect to the MySQL
server:
	$ mysql -u mark -p
	Enter password:

Then enter the password.  I assume this will fail with the same error
you get above.  In that case you should contact your MySQL administrator
to find out what your password is supposed to be.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
    • Re: Import ProblemPaul DuBois5 Feb