List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:February 5 2000 12:20am
Subject:Re: mysql functions (was: best mySQL books)
View as plain text
At 6:05 PM -0500 2000-02-04, Mr. Anthony R.J. Ball wrote:
>I guess my biggest complaint with the docs on them right now is that
>it doesn't really explain them... what can you do with them? Can you
>use them to return a list of rows, are they only good for applying
>to a field indivdually or a group.
>
>for instance I get the impression that with a function I can do something
>like plus_one(number) that will automatically add one to field number in
>the result set. But...
>
>could I write a function like get_categories(code) that looked up in
>another table
>all the categories that matched code and return them in a comma
>seperated list.
>
>Or could I write a function that allowed me to return all the values
>of a field
>in a group by joined on a comma, stuff like that.
>
>I can't tell from the docs whether or not functions will be worth
>learning or not.

... doesn't explain "them" ...
... what can you do with "them" ...
... can you use "them" ...

That is a very broad description, and it's difficult to do anything
on the basis of it, because "them" isn't tied to anything specific.
In addition,  Your original question had to do with trying
to understand how the MySQL functions work.  Your message above now
is phrased in terms of writing your own functions.  These are two
different things.  In order to answer your questions (and possibly
improve the manual) we need information like:

- Which functions are you referring to?  MySQL functions that you use
in SQL statements, such as those in the language reference chapter?
C API functions?  I get the impression you're talking about the C API,
but I don't know.
- The questions in your first paragraph can all be answered "yes" or "no".
There are different functions for different things.

The "could I write" questions you raise above can be answered "yes",
because once you understand how MySQL's functions work, you can do
pretty much whatever you want.

I am unsure what to say about your "I get the impression" paragraph
above, because I'm not able to figure out what it means.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread
best mySQL booksIsaac4 Feb
  • Re: best mySQL booksLindsay Davies4 Feb
  • Re: best mySQL booksPaul DuBois4 Feb
  • Re: best mySQL bookssasha4 Feb
    • RE: best mySQL booksNicolas Prade4 Feb
      • RE: best mySQL booksBill Marrs4 Feb
      • Re: best mySQL booksErik Boles4 Feb
      • Re: best mySQL booksIsaac4 Feb
    • Re: best mySQL booksPaul DuBois4 Feb
  • Re: best mySQL booksBill Gerrard4 Feb
    • Re: best mySQL booksPeter J. Schoenster4 Feb
      • mysql functions (was: best mySQL books)Mr. Anthony R.J. Ball4 Feb
    • Resorting a tableRon White16 Feb
      • RE: Resorting a tableRon White16 Feb
      • Re: Resorting a tableMatthias Urlichs16 Feb
      • Re: Resorting a tablegaryb16 Feb
  • Re: mysql functions (was: best mySQL books)sasha5 Feb
    • Re: mysql functions (was: best mySQL books)Mr. Anthony R.J. Ball5 Feb
      • Re: mysql functions (was: best mySQL books)Paul DuBois5 Feb
        • Re: mysql functions (was: best mySQL books)Mr. Anthony R.J. Ball7 Feb
          • Re: mysql functions (was: best mySQL books)Thimble Smith8 Feb