List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dave Crawford Date:April 30 1999 1:54am
Subject:Auto-Numbering
View as plain text
In regards to a auto_increment 'ID' column, is there a way for the Mysql
server to assign the LOWEST available 'record' number (if one is
available) instead of using the highest existing record + 1? For example
if I have 20 records and I delete row 11, when I insert the next record
assign it number 11 instead of 21. Is there an easier way to accomplish
this other than polling a range of record numbers and seeing which rows
come back NULL? Thanks.

-Dave
Thread
Auto-NumberingDave Crawford30 Apr
  • Re: Auto-NumberingFred Read30 Apr
  • Re: Auto-NumberingChristian Mack30 Apr