List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Van Date:April 29 1999 11:48pm
Subject:Re: $editor : not found, YET! :)
View as plain text
Marco Lopez wrote:

> Thanks for taking time in to responding trivial things like this!. I
> appreciate this cos' I've a client breathing on my neck :(
>
> The case thing was my fault, I did NOT made myself clear.
> The variable is $ EDITOR.
>
> I tried your suggestion to change the value to /usr/bin/vi:
> mysql just complained that
> "/usr/bin/vi:not found"
>
> Any other thing comes to mind????
>
> TIA

> > > mysql checks $EDITOR and $VISUAL, not $editor.
> >
> > ... and vi is 'vi', not 'VI'.  Case is really important in Unix.
> > If you've checked all those things and it still doesn't work,
> > try setting your EDITOR variable to the full path to vi, like
> > this:
> >
> > $ env EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi
> >
> > If that works, then maybe your PATH is munged somehow.
> >
> > Tim
Tim,
Have your tried:  which vi?
If it comes up with something other than /usr/bin/vi, use that.
If it comes up with /usr/bin/vi do this:
export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi
(Minor shell inconsistency, here.  You're using bash, the bourne again
shell)
Van
Linux rocks!!!   www.dedserius.com
$editor : not foundMarco Lopez28 Apr
  • Re: $editor : not foundPaul DuBois28 Apr
    • Re: $editor : not foundThimble Smith28 Apr
      • $editor : not found, YET! :)Marco Lopez30 Apr
    • Re: $editor : not found, YET! :)Van30 Apr
      • Re: $editor : not found, YET! :)Darrell Shifflett30 Apr