List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eduardo Arino de la Rubia Date:April 29 1999 6:58pm
Subject:Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHP
View as plain text
hm... I am not sure that I agree with you... when you benchmarked the
application swas php a loadable module in apache?  I did some source level
profiling, and the actual spawn and connection took longer on my
applications than using a persistant connection in php and having the
interpreter loaded in the web server...

especially when an application is mainly database bound (like searching
through x records, where x is a large number.)  Most of the time is not
going to be spent in your code, it is going to be spent waiting for a
response...

of course... i could be wrong ;)

some random guy.

1 + 1 = 3, for large values of 1. |     ed@stripped    | arino@stripped

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Ed Carp wrote:

> > .. the difference is so minimal its not funny, but overall PHP has got to
> > win for web based stuff
>
> Not at all.  It all depends on what you're looking for, and what your
> experience level is.  If your site is going to get a lot of hits, C is the
> best tool, because it's the fastest.  If you have limited programming
> experience, PHP or PERL will perhaps fit your needs better, because it's
> more of a RAD tool than C is, but you trade off speed and flexibility.
> But no interpreted language will be faster than compiled native code,
> that's just common sense.
>
> For example, I have a web page that uses MySQL to generate an index of
> news headlines and links.  I wrote this in C, because it had to be fast -
> when you're searching a database of 24,000+ headlines, and have multiple
> people banging away at the server, it pays to make it as fast as possible,
> and the HTML was no harder to generate than it was in any other language.
> PHP or PERL would've been at least half as fast (I know because I
> benchmarked the same app written in C, PERL, and PHP).
>
> There's a saying in certain programming circles that people who don't know
> how to program choose PERL or PHP, people who do choose C or C++, and I
> think there's a certain amount of truth in that.  Why is MySQL qritten in
> C, rather than in PERL?  It would've certainly been easier.  Why is most
> system software written in C?  Why is it that most every modern operating
> system is written in C or C++?
> --
> Ed Carp, N7EKG  	erc@stripped		940/367-2744 cell phone
> Owner: WeatherAlert/Digital Weatherman - NWS alerts via email/pager/Internet
>
> "i have my plans and brave ambitions, knowing no bounds, no inhibitions..."
> Basia Trzetrzelewska, "Third Time Lucky"

Need an opinion - C vs PHPas2k.com29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPpete collins29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPWayne Lovely29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPWayne Cease29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPMartin B. Jespersen29 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPGraeme B. Davis29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPMichael Farr29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPkalle volkov29 Apr
      • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPRichard McLean30 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPErik Liljencrantz29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPUnknown Sender29 Apr
RE: Need an opinion - C vs PHPTapan Raj29 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPMichael Farr29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPEd Carp29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPEduardo Arino de la Rubia29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPjohan.engstrom30 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPJay Flaherty30 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPRobin Bowes30 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPGraeme B. Davis29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPBengt Hahn29 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPGraeme B. Davis29 Apr
  • opinion C vs PHP and othersBengt Hahn1 May
RE: Need an opinion - C vs PHPRichard Rossi30 Apr