List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin B. Jespersen Date:April 29 1999 2:48pm
Subject:Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHP
View as plain text
"as2k.com" wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I need an opinion of which is the better way to go.  Should I create my
> mySQL enabled web application using CGI's written in C or using PHP?
>
> I'm looking for information on execution speed, ease of maintainability as
> well as portability.
>
> Just a note - the site is currently written using C CGI's so I'm looking
> to see if there would be a speed/maintainability benefit to PHP.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Mark Turner

Hi Mark,

I would definately say go with php.

reasons:

-php is dead easy if you allready know C, but you don't need to waste time on memory
managent and the like.
-php is ultraportable: if it works on one platform, it works on them all (so long as you
have the same modules and versions
installed)
-php is extremely fast (if you run it as an apache module): most php pages will be done
executing before the fork() to run the cgi
program is finished. In other woirds, the php code is done before the c code even starts.
This is not true if you need to run very
long and complicated scripts but in 90% of times it is true.
-php's api is very easy to extend if you know c. So if there are feature missing for you
in php, you can easily extend php by
coding your own php functions in c and then recompile php with them in it.
-php is dead easy to maintain, i am not sure that there is one easier out there (and i
have worked with
perl/c/c++/pascal/vbscript/java/javascript/lisp and other i don't care to mention)

--
Martin B. Jespersen
Technical Project Leader

E-Mail: Martin@stripped
Mail:   Havnegade 39, DK-1058 Copenhagen K
Voice:  (+45) 7023-1001
Fax:    (+45) 33320209
Thread
Need an opinion - C vs PHPas2k.com29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPpete collins29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPWayne Lovely29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPWayne Cease29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPMartin B. Jespersen29 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPGraeme B. Davis29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPMichael Farr29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPkalle volkov29 Apr
      • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPRichard McLean30 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPErik Liljencrantz29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPUnknown Sender29 Apr
RE: Need an opinion - C vs PHPTapan Raj29 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPMichael Farr29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPEd Carp29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPEduardo Arino de la Rubia29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPjohan.engstrom30 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPJay Flaherty30 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPRobin Bowes30 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPGraeme B. Davis29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPBengt Hahn29 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPGraeme B. Davis29 Apr
  • opinion C vs PHP and othersBengt Hahn1 May
RE: Need an opinion - C vs PHPRichard Rossi30 Apr