List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Wayne Cease Date:April 29 1999 2:17pm
Subject:Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHP
View as plain text
"as2k.com" wrote:
> I need an opinion of which is the better way to go.  Should I create my
> mySQL enabled web application using CGI's written in C or using PHP?

Mostly that should depend upon your skill set and needs.  If you (or
your group) have a greater experience in one of those two, pick the one
with experience.

I do almost all of my work in C/C++, but that's partly because that's
where my skills are.  I also have some template code that allows me to
have multiple user interfaces for a single application (for different
partners or browser).  It also allows me to seperate the UI from the
code.

> I'm looking for information on execution speed, ease of maintainability as
> well as portability.

A C app _should_ be faster, but then there are a lot of issues
involved.  Persistant applications with an open data base connection
will be faster for data base interaction than a program that has to
start up and make a new data base connection.

And no matter what language you use, a poorly written app can be slow
and buggy.

PHP may be more portable, but any time you plan to make a program
portable you have to pay more attention to your design.

> Just a note - the site is currently written using C CGI's so I'm looking
> to see if there would be a speed/maintainability benefit to PHP.

As for development speed, that depends entirely on your background.  I
can write C apps very quickly and I have a library of code for building
web apps to help me.  A Perl programmer could write quickly in Perl.
Same with PHP or any other language.

--
Wayne Cease
wayne@stripped

Phone: (404) 277-0544
Fax:   (770) 801-1646
Thread
Need an opinion - C vs PHPas2k.com29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPpete collins29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPWayne Lovely29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPWayne Cease29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPMartin B. Jespersen29 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPGraeme B. Davis29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPMichael Farr29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPkalle volkov29 Apr
      • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPRichard McLean30 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPErik Liljencrantz29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPUnknown Sender29 Apr
RE: Need an opinion - C vs PHPTapan Raj29 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPMichael Farr29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPEd Carp29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPEduardo Arino de la Rubia29 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPjohan.engstrom30 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPJay Flaherty30 Apr
    • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPRobin Bowes30 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPGraeme B. Davis29 Apr
  • Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPBengt Hahn29 Apr
Re: Need an opinion - C vs PHPGraeme B. Davis29 Apr
  • opinion C vs PHP and othersBengt Hahn1 May
RE: Need an opinion - C vs PHPRichard Rossi30 Apr