List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Lindberg Date:February 1 2000 4:35pm
Subject:Re: too many posts!
View as plain text
On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 18:58:43 -0800, John Hanley wrote:

>This method of communication seems really inefficient and obsolete.  I'm
>getting about 200 messages a day and still haven't received an answer to my
>question!

The most efficient way to get an answer to _your_ question is to pay
for support. Pay enough and you get instant one-on-one communication.
Another is to read the manual or look/search through the archives. On
the lists, you ask a question, and you may or may not get an answer.
Not getting an answer is more likely if:

1. Total newbie questions that suggest that the poster didn't even
bother to read the docs.
2. Questions that have insufficient info in them. For instance, "my
mySQL server crashes. Why?".
3. Questions to which most list members do not know the answer - they
may be unable to help even though they would like to.
4. Questions that have nothing to do with MySQL: "Where do I find a
dynamic DNS server?"

(There is no other post from your address in the archive so I can't
tell if your unanswered question falls into any of these categories.)
To help you deal with the mail volume:

1. mysql-digest-subscribe@stripped - Neatly ordered about twice
a day. You select from the TOC what interests you.
2. http://lists.mysql.com/ - archive in real time. You see messages
here even before they appear in subscribers' mail boxes. Again, neatly
organized with the latest message in any thread linked to the index.
There is also a word search system (reindexed each night).
3. as mentioned - filters.

So, for instance - I'm subscribed to the digest. I scan the TOC for
interesting things. If I post, I check http://lists.mysql.com for
answers/replies.

A news group is much too slow. Also, access is much more limited than a
mailing list.

-Sincerely, Fred

too many posts!John Hanley1 Feb
  • Re: too many posts!Mathijs Brands1 Feb
  • RE: too many posts!John Zook1 Feb
  • Re: too many posts!Van1 Feb
    • Re: too many posts!Mathijs Brands1 Feb
  • Re: too many posts!sasha1 Feb
  • Re: too many posts!Horacio J. Peña1 Feb
Re: too many posts!Sean.Browne1 Feb
Re: too many posts!Fred Lindberg1 Feb
RE: too many posts!John Zook2 Feb