List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Read Date:April 29 1999 12:03pm
Subject:Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?
View as plain text
Erik Liljencrantz wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something, but;
>     "order by fieldname desc limit 1" usually
> gets me the record where the field has the largest value (or
> smallest without desc).
>
> In this case:
>   select UserName, Created
>     from MyTable
>     where UserName = 'MyUserName'
>     order by Created desc limit 1
>
> To simple to work? mySQL knows how to optimize this type of query.

Ah! [Slaps hand to forehead loudly!]

Thanks, that ought to do it...
--

If it ain't opinionated, it ain't Rich Teer.
Thread
      • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Fred Read29 Apr
        • Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Fraser MacKenzie29 Apr
    • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Erik Liljencrantz29 Apr
  • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Fred Read29 Apr
    • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Michael Longval1 May
      • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Thimble Smith1 May
  • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Robin Bowes29 Apr
    • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Erik Liljencrantz29 Apr
      • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Michael Widenius30 Apr