List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Read Date:April 29 1999 11:59am
Subject:Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?
View as plain text
Fraser MacKenzie wrote:

> Sure you can do this.  I do it all the time.  Here is the select
>
> select MAX(latest) from MyTable where username='MyUsername';

Ok, but the question was;

    "How do I return the most recent row for a given xxx?"

With your solution I would have to do two selects;

 1. Find Max(Date) for UserName
 2. Select row for UserName AND [previously found] Max(Date)

This is not an atomic operation so unless tables are locked,
could result in data inconsistencies...
--

If it ain't opinionated, it ain't Rich Teer.
Thread
      • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Fred Read29 Apr
        • Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Fraser MacKenzie29 Apr
    • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Erik Liljencrantz29 Apr
  • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Fred Read29 Apr
    • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Michael Longval1 May
      • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Thimble Smith1 May
  • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Robin Bowes29 Apr
    • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Erik Liljencrantz29 Apr
      • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Michael Widenius30 Apr