List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Robin Bowes Date:April 29 1999 10:53am
Subject:Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?
View as plain text
Fred Read wrote:

> Robin Bowes wrote:
> >
> > Fred Read wrote:
> > >     "How do I return the most recent row for a given xxx?"
> >
> > Try
> >
> >      select
> >          UserName, Created, Latest
> >      from
> >          MyTable
> >      where
> >          Latest = max(Latest);
> >      and
> >          UserName = 'MyUserName'
>
> That couldn't work because Latest is not a column [see table
> definition] it is an alias for a calculated value [see SQL].

For "Latest" read "Created"  - I got the field name wrong.

What I meant to write was:

      select
          UserName, Created, Created
      from
          MyTable
      where
          Created = max(Created);
      and
          UserName = 'MyUserName'

That should work for you.

R.
--
Robin Bowes - System Development Manager - Room 405A
E.O.C., Overseas House, Quay St., Manchester, M3 3HN, UK.
      • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Fred Read29 Apr
        • Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Fraser MacKenzie29 Apr
    • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Erik Liljencrantz29 Apr
  • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Fred Read29 Apr
    • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Michael Longval1 May
      • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Thimble Smith1 May
  • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Robin Bowes29 Apr
    • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Erik Liljencrantz29 Apr
      • Re: Select most recent row - another one for the FAQ perhaps?Michael Widenius30 Apr