List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:April 29 1999 9:07am
Subject:Re: Crash-Me Question
View as plain text
>>>>> "AsianAvenue" == AsianAvenue com
> <ccimail@stripped> writes:

AsianAvenue> Oracle enterprises scalability FAR exceeds 92.  Our installation is set
AsianAvenue> accept up to 850 connections.............and we have done it successfully
AsianAvenue> on Solaris.  I have not heard of an install defaulting to 92 connections.
AsianAvenue> Perhaps it is WorkGroup or the NT version of the software.  Otherwise,
AsianAvenue> though, this seems unbelievable.  This number seems far too abitrary to
AsianAvenue> me......it seems like this must be a limitation OUTSIDE of Oracle.

AsianAvenue> Michael C. Montero
AsianAvenue> Chief Technology Officer
AsianAvenue> Community Connect Inc. Co-founder
AsianAvenue> AsianAvenue.com Member
AsianAvenue> Mike@stripped

Hi!

Note that the number of connections is depending on your license and
how you install Oracle.  I don't know what the default number of
connections is for Oracle (you say that you have 'set it up to accept
850 connections;  In other words, 850 connections is not default!)

Note that crash-me also returns 90 or 100 connections for MySQL;
There are no internal limitations in MySQL for number of connections
and this easily be increased from starting MySQL.

crash-me is a program that detects limitations and functionality of a
SQL server.  Some things (like number of connections) are dependent on
the installation, while most other things are dependent of the SQL
servers code.  The most interesting figures are the numbers that are
not installation dependent as these are probably identical across all
OS.

crash-me can't detect the maximum value for things that are
configurable in a SQL server.  (These one can only find out by looking
in the manuals for each SQL server).  This doesn't however make the
crash-me less interesting!   crash-me shows what you can accept from a
typical SQL server installation;  Some things may be tweaked and some
doesn't.  At least you know that there is something you should watch
out for if you use a particular SQL server!

An answer to Bill Culp's question:

A SQL server is crash-me safe if you can run the 'crash-me' program on
it without big changes that the server goes down!

crash-me is not designed to crash a SQL server;  It's designed to find
the limitation of a SQL server.  Unfortunately some SQL servers has
bugs and will crash if you make 'unexpected' (but legal)  queries to it!

If your SQL server is not crash-me safe, we don't recommend you to run
the crash-me program on it without first consulting your database
administrator (or SQL vendor).  In any case; We at TCX are NOT
responsible if you run crash-me and your database goes down!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Crash-Me QuestionBill Culp29 Apr
  • Re: Crash-Me QuestionAsianAvenue.com29 Apr
    • Re: Crash-Me QuestionMichael Widenius29 Apr
  • Re: Crash-Me QuestionLuuk de Boer29 Apr