List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christopher R. Jones Date:January 30 2000 3:05pm
Subject:Re: MySQL compile fails on Solaris
View as plain text
Could you send a typical program you are trying to build on Solaris?  I use
Solaris 7, Intel and I have had no problem building the mysql server and
client applications using gcc-2.95.1

>At 1:16 AM +0200 2000-01-30, Michael Widenius wrote:
>>  >>>>> "marek" == marek  <marek@stripped> writes:
>>marek> Hi!
>>marek> I have written about this several times , still seems no progress..
>>marek> Description:
>>marek>   Well, the problem itself is simple and solution is also simple:
>>marek>    problem)  call gethostname is deprecated under solaris, it still
>>marek>              exists in manpages but is no longer included in
>>marek> How-To-Repeat:
>>marek>	compile any vanilla mysql from source under solaris.
>>marek> Fix:
>>marek>  solution) patch the MYSQL_DIR/sql/ file with following
>>marek>         #ifdef __sun__
>>marek>         #include <sys/systeminfo.h>
>>marek>         #define gethostname(x,y) sysinfo(SI_HOSTNAME,x,y)
>>marek>         #endif
>>marek>           And it will start working again as it is supposed.
>>Just one question:
>>I couldn't find anything in my Solaris 2.7 manual about gethostname()
>>being deprecated.
>I can't either.  Besides, it would be really bizarre to prefer a non-standard
>call like sysinfo() to a standard one like gethostname().  That would require
>patching not only, but *any* program that uses gethostname(), which
>would be an insane incompatibility for Sun to introduce.
>I'm also curious about it not being in the Solaris libraries.  This is what
>I get on my Solaris 2.7 system:
>% cd /usr/lib
>% ar t libc.a | grep gethostname
>>Anyway, the current MySQL 3.22.30 compiled cleanly on our Solaris
>>2.5.1, 2.6 and 2.7 machines.
>>configure should define the -DSOLARIS flag in configure which should
>>have fixed this problem.  Can you check why the following configure
>>test didn't work on your machine:
>>   *solaris2.5.1*)
>>     echo "Enabling getpass() workaround for Solaris 2.5.1"
>Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
>Please check "" before
>posting. To request this thread, e-mail mysql-thread25815@stripped
>To unsubscribe, send a message to:
>    <>
Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2E3
Tel. 416 203-7465
Fax. 416 203-3044
Email cj@stripped

MySQL compile fails on Solarismarek28 Jan
  • MySQL compile fails on SolarisMichael Widenius30 Jan
    • Re: MySQL compile fails on SolarisPaul DuBois30 Jan
Re: MySQL compile fails on SolarisChristopher R. Jones30 Jan
  • Other MySQL Problems Compiling on SolarisJim Boelter30 Jan
    • Re: Other MySQL Problems Compiling on Solarissinisa31 Jan
    • Re: Other MySQL Problems Compiling on Solarissasha31 Jan
    • Re: Other MySQL Problems Compiling on SolarisJim Boelter1 Feb