List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 29 2000 11:06pm
Subject:Re: help!!!!
View as plain text
At 4:21 PM -0800 2000-01-29, d e l   d h a n o a wrote:
>Ok, I am pretty damn pissed of.. I have spent 8 months busting my ass making
>a 8000 link database for a search engine that I am creating.
>
>I finally uploaded it today in the hopes of launching...  I do a search and
>it takes about 5-10 mintues before the search results come back!!!!  The
>page just loads during that whole time!  I cant believe it!!!!
>

>The test database has about 1000 links in it and it searches fine... what
>the hell am I supposed to do now?!?!?!
>
>this has ruined my entire year!!!

Hard to tell from your description.  Sounds like it could either be
that the search itself takes a long time to run, or that it takes your
browser a long time to load the page.  Have you run your queries standalone
to decouple them from the Web environment to see what the performance
is like?

I'd suggest checking to make sure that you have appropriate indexes on
your table, but it seems pretty unbelievable that *any* query on a table that
has only 8000 rows could take 5-10 minutes.  That seems pretty pathological,
so my guess is that your problem has something to do with more than just
the query itself.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread