List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Luuk de Boer Date:January 1 1970 12:00am
Subject:Re: Crash-Me Question
View as plain text
On 28 Apr 99, at 20:25, Bill Culp wrote:

> I am a little confused by your Crash-Me comparisons.  First of all,  You
> say that you are comparing default configurations.  I find it a little
> hard to believe that UDB5 and Oracle default to about 100 maximum
> simultaneous connections.  I use UDB5 in a production environment with
> hundreds of users connected simultaneously and we havent hit the wall yet.
>  And we are only using the UDB5 workgroup edition not the Enterprise
> edition.  Are you comparing "personal edition" numbers here or what?
> Also, what version of Oracle only supports 92 concurrent connections?  Do
> you expect me to believe that the most scalable database product in the
> world (which I believe Oracle is) defaults to that?  I am interested in
> your product but I find the Crash-Me test a little unbelievable.  Also,
> could you specify the crash test circumstances that make a database
> "Crash-Me" safe?  You seem to be suggesting that MySql is crash proof.
> The products you list as not safe are all NT platform installations.  Are
> you trying to say something about NT or the database servers themselves?
> Would the Unix versions of these products pass your test?  Why did you
> single out NT when all of these products except for Access run on many
> flavors of Unix as well?  Bill Culp

For the connection figures I can only say that it's an configuration
setting which you can tune but you have to have enough memory in
your machine to run that much connections.
Not all db's on NT are crash-me safe but there some of. Like oracle
and sybase. If a db is crashing it's by a query we made, mostly it's
one of the queries who is looking for the maximum of some tests.
We tested some of the db's on windows NT because I could
arrange those db's. Everybody is free to run the crash-me script on
every platform on every db. Now all the big names are started to
support Linux I have the possibility to test those db's also on linux
so in the future the list will be a little bigger with figures from a linux
machine. If you would like to see what your limits are with your
configuration you only have to have perl running on one of the
machines in your netwerk and have a DBD perl module for your db.
If you have all that it's easy to run crash-me on your database.

Greetz...

Luuk

|  Luuk de Boer -> <luuk@stripped>                                      |
|  When you want to go fast .....                                       |
|  Drive a cobra on the road and take a T3 line for internet ...... :-) |
|  http://www.luuk.com/  -> The AC Cobra site                           |
Crash-Me QuestionBill Culp29 Apr
  • Re: Crash-Me QuestionAsianAvenue.com29 Apr
    • Re: Crash-Me QuestionMichael Widenius29 Apr
  • Re: Crash-Me QuestionLuuk de Boer29 Apr